May 21, 2021 – 13:47 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net – Secretary of the Security Council of Armenia Armen Grigoryan has said that no discussions on a new document tackling the delimitation between Armenia and Azerbaijan have taken place. In an interview with Public TV, Grigoryan said the paper can’t be discussed unless all Azerbaijani troops withdraw from Armenia.
On the morning of May 12, the armed forces of Azerbaijan violated the border of Armenia in the southern province of Syunik, advancing 3.5 kilometers and surrounding Sev Lake, which is situated on the border between the two countries but is predominantly a part of Armenia. On May 13, the Azerbaijani military committed more border violations against Armenia, advancing near Vardenis (Gegharkunik province) and Sisian (Syunik province).
Asked whether Armenian villages or enclaves could be transferred to Azerbaijan if the said document is signed, Grigoryan said nobody can answer that question. The Security Council chief reminded about Artsvashen, an exclave of Armenia’s inside Azerbaijan, which he said would be returned to Armenia should such a scenario be implemented.
Grigoryan said the Armenian side wants a trilateral format of negotiations with the involvement of Russia, while Azerbaijan prefers a bilateral one. According to him, the demarcation of borders is in the interests of Armenia, which will create “certain guarantees of security.”
He added that no one is making the government of Armenia sign the document.
Acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan confirmed earlier on Thursday that the Armenian government is indeed negotiating a new document with Azerbaijan and Russia. The redacted paper was first published by Armenia’s former ambassador to the Vatican Mikayel Minasyan, who said Pashinyan was going to sign the new agreement that would damage the interests of the country. Pashinyan maintained, however, that “those “solutions are 100% in line with the interests of the Republic of Armenia.”